Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Trail Cam Tuesday: May 15, 2012

This past weekend I attempted turkey hunting again, I say attempted very loosely, but that's another story for any other time. Normally up until this point, every Saturday morning I just went switched my trail cam cards and then dove into my blind to wait on some turkeys. This past Saturday I decided to take a different approach, head to where I'd been hearing some gobbler coming off the roost. Well, they weren't there but I still held tight there until 7:30ish AM. At that time I knew it was time to head to my blind to catch the hens that had been coming in for the past week or two. Come to find out, by me deciding to head away from my blind, I missed the shot of videoing this great looking deer.  Here is the first shot, that I go tin the series.

As you can see from this picture, this buck already has decent antler growth for this region and time of year, but that's not the interesting part. If you look closely, you can see (from the rear) that the left antler looks normal, where as the right one looks a little larger and club like.

A blown up shot of what looks to be a young, double main beam buck in velvet.

With this next picture I was hoping I would get him to stop. He did, but with his head right behind the stump. At least he was stopped I had one more shot at getting a good picture and it...


... paid off! He stuck his head up enough to get his antler growth into this last picture. By the looks of it, he already has nice growth on the right side with the split for a brow tine and main beam, but the left side is what had me interested. Looking at it closely on a camera in a blind got me to think I was seeing things, but I wasn't. After looking at it on the computer for a few days now and getting a few opinions, I think this buck has the starts of what looks to be a double main beam! Who knows, he could be the offspring of this buck from last year or just another Foggy Mountain Freak!

A blown up shot of what looks to be a young, double main beam buck in velvet.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...cool! I've never witnessed budding antlers before, until this year- I've had cameras out consistently since February. It's pretty interesting. And I was wondering, is it really 32* in the mornings where you are?! Chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trail cameras are a wonderful thing! I keep mine out 24/7/365, you never know what you are going to catch. Plus, when I can't hunt this is the next best thing IMO. And I am in the hills of North Central West Virginia, that's a chilly morning for this time of year, but certainly not unheard of by far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he grows into a monster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that same buck comin to my blind

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...