Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Trail Cam Tuesday - March 1, 2011

I keep wondering when I'm going to run out of footage for you guys, but then I start looking back through some of mine and Jay's trail cam pictures and I find five or six new posts. So when I was looking for the pictures of the coyote for last weeks Trail Cam Tuesday, I came cross these pictures. I apologize for the quality of these images, I have tried to lighten them up enough while maintaining some of their quality. Please remember, you may need to click on the image to maximize it see full detail.

Normally I try to keep the pictures to a max of four, but this sequence was just to good to break up. You'll have to look closely, maximize a few pictures, and trust  me a little; but I have  set of photos of two bears fighting. Everything from the encounter/stand off to the victor laying claim.


The stand off begins.

The stand off continued with both bears in frame.

The bears are tangled up in the back right corner.
The bears jawing back and forth

The continued jawing and wrestling.

I'm not sure on this one, but looks like one is chasing the other off.

Feel free to gather what you want from this picture.

I will be the first to admit I am not the foremost authority on black bears, so if anyone else knows or can tell what is going on please do so. What I can tell you is that neither bear was there when we went to the trail camera a few days later nor any sign of blood, but there was a lot of black fur littered all over the ground.

5 comments:

  1. As always , great trail cam shots!

    I'm wondering if it's two young males "play" fighting? I've heard that the young males will do that to learn how to be dominant males.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have thought much about the fighting until that last photo - kinda odd. Looks like he's laying down just like a dog, but that seems a little strange given the situation. Very cool sequence whatever happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just spitballing here... but they appear to be 2nd year cubs.. probably siblings who have recently been kicked to the curb by their mother, still traveling together and just toughing it out untill they will eventually split and go their own ways.. the play fighting is common, ive witnessed cubs who appeared to be fighting to the death.. then they just lay down together-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the pictures. Looks like some rough housing to me followed by a short snooze or downtime by the one young one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments. I was thinking the same thing about them being "play" fighting.. But I wasn't sure enough to say that in the blog. Thanks for the thoughts..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...