Saturday, March 24, 2012

Noon Time Strutters with Cassie

Talking to the turkeys
I just posted this on the West Virginia Huntography blog, but I couldn't resist posting it for those of you that haven't made it over there yet. While on a trip to my future in-laws farm in Wood County I had planned to do some scouting for spring gobbler season (30 days and counting). As Cassie and I were on our way back from a short shopping trip in Parkersburg, WV, we came across a lone hen crossing the road. This was on a farm, in Walker, WV, that adjoined her parents, so it didn’t take a second thought to pull off the road and chase after then hen to find her boyfriend. It only took about three steps into the field until I saw about fifteen to twenty hens and two jakes. I asked Cass if she wanted to see them blow up and go full strut and she obliged. It only took a strike or two on my slate call to make them hit full strut and then treated us to a show of roaring gobbles. We were both pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get a reaction. We heard another set of thunderous gobbles, from the sound alone, I knew that these were full grown Gobblers. Cassie was impressed by the first show, but when the gobblers came strutting down hill after the jakes and began to tussle, Cassie just smiled with that look of amazement that most people do after the first time seeing this. For all those out there scouting for their spring gobblers, make sure to take someone with you to share that enjoyment, it’s a great feeling to say the least.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome post...now I'm going to stalk turkeys and try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and do it, but you can't blame me later on for the addiction.. haha.. Ok I guess you can..

      Delete
  2. Great post, I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir.. It's always a pleasure.. Any turkey hunting for you this spring?

      Delete
  3. This is an example ow why turkey hunting is so addicting. It is an all out frenzy every spring that brings even the strongest of us to our knees. I hope Cassie enjoyed the show. I've yet to see a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really did.. It was always fun to get her out and introduce her to more of the outdoors world than she is use to..

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...