Friday, August 12, 2011

Pickled Hot Dogs and Banana Peppers

Since I can remember hot peppers have been a staple around my parents house and now mine. The reason why is a simple one, my dad loves them. He will eat anything that involves hot pepper, hot sauces, or any form of hot spices period and has the collect to prove it. With that being said, it isn't surprising that a third of my garden is devoted to peppers, everything from sweet Bell peppers to very hot Habanero peppers and everything in between. The only problem with that is that it leads to having an abundant amount of peppers which leaves me trying to figure out what I can do with them. After taking up canning last year, I figured what better way to start preserving some of the banana peppers than making some Pickled Hot Dogs and Banana Peppers.

This recipe will yield 4 Pints jars, but can be adapted 
to yield other quantities.


Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups White Vinegar 
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 2 Cups Water 
  • 1/2 Tbsp Alum 
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Pickling Spice
  • 4 Cloves of Garlic / 1 per Jar (Optional)
  • Hot/Sweet Banana Peppers
  • 16 Regular Length Hot Dogs

There are a few steps when making these:

Cold Packing the Jars:
  1. Have your clean jars in front of you as you begin to cut up the hot dogs and peppers. I prefer to half the hot dogs and place two halves on the bottom of the jar first. Then I proceed to thinly slice the peppers into rings and then layer them. Then continue alternating the hot dogs and peppers until there is a generous inch of head space left in the jar.

Making the pickling brine:
  1. Combine the White Vinegar, Water, Alum, Pickling Spice and Sugar into a medium to large sauce pan and bring to a boil allowing the sugar to dissolve.

Combining and "Bathing" the jars:
  1. Add pickling brine to the cold packed jars, still leaving 1/2 to 3/4 inch of head space.
  2. Clean rim of jar with a rag to remove any liquid or debris.
  3. Apply lid and rings and place in "hot bath" for 15 minutes. 
  4. Remove and place in a cool dry area to cool down.
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Not my favorite, but they look good for you to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, My Dad loves these & I have been looking for a recipe for years. He hasn't had any in over 13 years since my Grandma passed away... They will be my 1st canning attempt, so wish me luck. I hope it is a pleasant surprise for him... P.s my Cousin is the one who shared your site with me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one SEO Techniques in all Search engine like Google, Bing, Yahoo etc and Alexa Ranking. For more Detail visit Click Here
    SEO Techniques
    Search Engine Optimization

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be pressure canning these, it has meat and is not safe to just water bath can them

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...