Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ramp Burgers

As many of you should have been able to tell, I love ramps! If you still don't know what a ramp is, you can find out in my post "All Ramped Up!", it will give you a little more insight. One of my first of many ramp recipes is going to be something simple, Ramp Burgers. Everyone knows how to make a burger or at least has an idea, but I am going to show you how I do without letting the ramps over take the burger.

Meat
  • 1 lbs. of ground beef or venison


Ingredients
  • 8 to 10 ramps (bulbs, stalks, and greens)
  • Pepper
  • Salt
  • Crush Red Pepper
  • Liquid Smoke

Step 1: Go dig a mess of ramps or acquire them at your local Farmers Market (if that is a possibility in your region).

Step 2: Throughly wash the ramps and trim off the roots (and greens if you do not wish to include them). I prefer to include part of the greens into the recipe as they do not have as much favor as the bulb or stalk, but they help spread the flavor throughout the burger.

Step 3: Finely mince the the ramp bulbs, stalks, and chosen amount of greens. I have found that 8 to 10 small/medium sized ramps give the best amount of flavor without overpowering the burger. Then add the minced ramps into the meat and mix into the meat.

Step  4: Add Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper, and Liquid Smoke to flavor. 

Step 5: Form meat into patties.

Step 6: Throw them onto the grill, cook to preferred doneness.

Step 7: Put on a bun, kick back with a cold beer and enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. OMG that makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....burgers........

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so tasty! I am going to have to give 'me a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does look good! I never find big stands of ramps, but find wild onions here and there. They don't have the reddish stem under the greens, but they work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome! Never had ramps before. Will look for them at the store ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...