Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cassie's Ramp Potatoes

This past week we have been making a lot of dishes with ramps because I picked so many last time I was out. Cassie even got involved with cooking an amazing side dish, so I couldn't resist asking her to do a guest post. So without further ado...

A few weeks ago Justin brought home a 5 gallon bucket full of ramps.I was really excited until he asked me to help him cook some. Now, don't get me wrong, I love ramps, when someone else cooks them. This year is my first time cooking ramps for myself let alone someone else. Luckily, I have consumed enough ramp recipes to have a basic idea of what to do with them.  My favorite way to eat ramps is fried up in some 'taters. So I tweaked a generic online recipe to make a pretty tasty side dish, if I do say so myself. 

Ramp Potatoes

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Grease a cake pan with a little EVOO
  3. Wash a half bag of red potatoes, then cut them up into quarters
  4. Dice up 2 green peppers
  5. Cut up and dice 10-15 ramps (depends on your preference), I left some of the green leafy parts in the dish per Justin's request. I personally like leaving them out, but they aren't bad. How small you dice the ramps is another personal preference. I like mine small and bite size so that's what I did.
  6. Combine all ingredients  and place into greased cake pan
  7. Salt & pepper to taste
  8. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of EVOO over the ingredients and bake for 45 mins or until the potatoes are tender.


Ingredient List
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1/2 bag of red potatoes
  • EVOO
  • 10-15 ramps
  • Salt 
  • Pepper

4 comments:

  1. it sounds yummy!!! i love potatoes of any kind, and sprinkle in onions (or your W Va ramps) and green pepper? greatness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks soooo awesome! I'm new-ish to WV (just under 2yrs living here!) but dating a native...and I am SO going to try this out. I love anything with potatoes, so I bet this would fit the bill for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we call those leeks in Wisconsin. Opening weekend is next week and looking forward to having some. They will grow along the trout stream where I fish along with big fat morel mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @John - They are a relative of the leek, a little more garlic flavor to them..

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...