Wednesday, February 23, 2011

You Don't Know Trout

Did you know a Brook Trout is actually a Char? I didn't. Earlier this month I was browsing through Trout Unlimited's website when I came across this quiz, You Don't Know TROUT! This quiz is what enlightened me to this fact. I suggest if you have a spare moment today, go take the quiz and see if there's anything on it that you didn't know. You will have to enter your e-mail / sign up for TU's Newsletter, but it's a good read and they don't flood your inbox, plus the quiz will enter you in to win a dream fishing trip for two at Forrester’s Bighorn River Resort in Montana, the 2010 Orvis Fly Fishing Lodge of the Year. The winner will also receive an Orvis fly fishing package that includes two personalized Orvis Access rods, one Mirage Large Arbor II reel, and one Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack.

Here is an answer to one of the quiz questions: Although commonly referred to as “trout,” brook trout, bull trout and other members of the Salvelinus genus are actually char. The easiest way to tell a char from a trout is by observing the light spots on its dark skin. Trout, on the other hand, often feature black spots on light-colored skin.

Note the dark skin with the light spots.
As much as I'd have liked to have played this one off like I knew, I didn't. I'm slightly embarrassed that I didn't know this, but I'm glad I have learned this and am able to pass this information onto everyone else out there. 

**Note I am not a member and/or sponsor of Trout Unlimited**

3 comments:

  1. a common misconception about char, like the brook trout and bull trout, is that they are not trout. However, a char is a trout. Not to get all old latin on the blogosphere, but a char is any trout of the genus Salvelinus. I learned that this past fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I took that quiz. I did pretty well on it, but, I have to tell you I missed a couple of the answers. For what it is worth I have been fishing for trout for almost (40) years. You would think I would have aced the test! Oh well, keep fishing for trout.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...