Monday, October 3, 2011

Quick Takes: Leatherman Kick

Recently I was contacted by Appalachian Outdoors to conduct a product review. Appalachian Outdoors allowed me to pick any item out of their extensive catalog (up to a certain dollar amount). I actually chose two, but you'll find more out about the other one later. Lately I had been in the market for a new multi-tool. This is one of those thing that unfolds into a set of pliers with bunch of tools in the handles. I am currently carrying a Bucklite 355 Multi-Tool everyday so it sees its fair share of abuse, but they have since discontinued this tool in the past ten years I've had it. This is what lead me on my adventure to find a new one. So when Appalachian Outdoors gave me the opportunity to review a product I knew exactly what I was looking for. It only took a little while to decide on which model to choose from, I tried to stay in the same price range as I did with my Bucklite to give it the most comparable review.  I hoped that after I ordered the Multi-Tool  I'd be able to receive the product at least a few days before writing a "Quick Takes" on it. To my surprise though, Appalachian Outdoors shipping was amazingly fast! I order this product on a Sunday evening and it was in my hands by Wednesday morning. After tooling around with my new Leatherman Kick for a week or so, I have figured a few things out, but you'll have to wait for another week or so get the full review.

Quick Takes

  • Why Leatherman/Warranty: This is a simple one. When you think multi-tools or you talk to someone about them, what do they refer to them as, "a Leatherman." This is often a source of confusion as some people consider multi-tool a Leatherman, but that is far from the truth. Leatherman has built a reputation since 1983 that says about there produce and dependability. Even if you don't believe in it, they do with their 25 year warranty. This is one of the main reasons I wanted one. I am hard on things, not because I'm abusive towards them, but I carry it on my belt everyday and it gets used everyday the same. 
  • Tool Variety: This is something that can be changed with purchasing different tools, but as I said before I am looking to stay in the same price range as my previous one. As for the tool variety of the Kick, Leatherman states that it has 12 tools. This includes a 420HC Clip Point Knife, Needlenose Pliers, Regular Pliers, Wire Cutters, Hard-wire Cutters, Wire Stripper, Small Screwdriver, Large Screwdriver, Phillips Screwdriver, Bottle Opener, Can Opener, 8 in | 19 cm Ruler. Although this seems a little on the light side, it still covers the basics. 
  • Sheath: This is something you have a choice of as well, but the only opinion I had available was a leather one. This wouldn't have been my first choice as my Bucklite had a nylon sheath that's done great and held up well. If this sheath were real leather I think I would be a bit more receptive to its longevity, but this seems like cheap fake leather. I look for this to be one of the major down falls of the tool, as I see the sheath breaking in a year or so.
  • Overall Construction: The Kick seems to feel a little more flimsy to me than other tools, even other Leathermans, I have used in the past. I am not sure if it is the plastic "comfort" inlays in the handles or if it was constructed with a lighter metal, but it just doesn't have that same feel I expected. 
Overall though I am excited to be able to test this product and would like to thank Appalachian Outdoors for providing me with this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...